Nature island: Port-Cros
Head off to explore Port-Cros island and plunge into stunning natural scenery overflowing with Mediterranean vegetation and remarkable sites, both on land and under the water…
Out of the 3 Golden Islands, Port-Cros is located nearest to Camping de La Pascalinette. You can buy your tickets for the boat crossing from La Londe-les-Maures at the campsite Reception. This Mediterranean paradise is protected by the Port-Cros National Park.
Port-Cros is an ideal spot for walkers and features various itineraries leading to the island’s 3 main beaches:
- Plage du Sud – 1-hour walk from the port.
- Plage de La Palud – a small beach and the departure point for the island’s snorkelling trail (schedule a half day).
- Plage de Port-Man – the island’s largest beach, highly-coveted by sailors as it is sheltered from the Mistral wind (half day hike).
If you’re a big beach fan, opt for Porquerolles island: the beaches are easy to reach from the port for walkers and cyclists.
Port-Cros offers an exciting range of walking itineraries ranging from 1 to 4 hours or even a half day depending on your available time and fitness level. Here are a few suggestions:
- Vallon de la Solitude
- Sentiers des Plantes de Port-Cros
- La Palud snorkelling trail (guided excursion)
- Plage du Sud, Plage de La Palud and Plage de Port-Man (see above).
Porquerolles and Port-Cros were formerly strategic lookout posts for the Bay of Hyères and Port of Toulon, before becoming today’s attractions for walkers and beach lovers. Port-Cros is home to 4 main forts:
- Fort du Moulin, 5 mins from the village (listed monument, closed to the public)
- Fort de l’Estissac, 15 to 20 mins from the village (open to the public in summer)
- Fort de l’Eminence, 20 to 30 mins from the village (closed to the public)
- Fort de Port-Man, the remotest fort, 2½ hours from the village via the coast or 1½ hours via the inland footpath (closed to the public but open on Heritage Days)
A scuba diving hub, Port-Cros is a genuine paradise for divers. If you loved your mini maiden dive at Camping de La Pascalinette, head off to discover the treasures hiding under the blue waters of Port-Cros in the company of a professional instructor!