The Town of Toulon
Located 27 km from the campsite, the town of Toulon, bathed in sunshine 300 days a year and set between sea and mountain, is also a military port (France’s largest naval base) and overflows with monuments, pretty quarters and surprises. The town’s rich history has left a legacy of ancient forts, towers, paved streets and shaded old pedestrian quarters…
You can tour Toulon on a tourist train (tickets on sale at the Tourist Office, Place Louis Blanc, near the port).
We have already written about the “Mounts of Toulon” (Faron, Coudon, Mont Caume) – a year-round delight for walkers, climbers and sports lovers of all kinds-, as well as the Mourillon beaches, Mount Faron cable-car (600 m altitude, 10-minute climb with panoramic views all the way from the Golden Islands to La Ciotat) and Wild Cat Reproduction Centre. Here are some other highlights (obviously not an exhaustive list!) for your 1 or 2-day trip to the town!
A must while you’re visiting the Var area: a boat tour of the Bay of Toulon, where French Navy ships are anchored. The tour last around an hour, departs from the port and you can buy tickets on site. Don’t miss the “Musée National de la Marine” museum at the end of the port if you’re interested in maritime history and navigation.
The port itself offers a very agreeable stroll and is lined with delightful restaurants and terraces. It is also the home of one of the town’s mascots, “Cuverville”, a bronze statue with a fascinating history.
As you head back on foot from the port to the town centre, you will come across an icon of Provencal culture in the shape of a lifesize sculpture of Marcel Pagnol’s famous “card game” taken from his film “Marius”. Make sure you get your pic taken at the card table before heading into the fully-refurbished historic quarter…
Toulon overflows with small and large parks, some of which are located at the in the town centre:
– In the Mourillon quarter just above the beaches: the Jardin d’Acclimatation welcomes newly-weds for their wedding photos every Saturday. Children can play in the shade here while you enjoy the benches and lawns…
– Pont du Las quarter: the Parc des Oiseaux is home to various bird species and is a feast for the eyes – and the ears!
– In the town centre next to Place de la Liberté and Palais de Justice: the Jardin Alexandre 1 is a wonderful spot for a walk or well-earned rest after touring the town on foot!
The Var area’s largest town is also a place of major architectural interest, with highlights including the Porte d’Italie (near Stade Mayol where Toulon’s famous RCT rugby team plays!), Fort St Louis (Mourillon beaches), Place de la Liberté, Opera House, Musée du Vieux Toulon, Landings Memorial (on Mont Faron), Cours Lafayette and its famous Provencal market, Place Puget and its mossy fountain, etc.
Art and culture are also very present here, so don’t forget to book a concert, show, play or festival ticket during your stay:
– Le Télégraphe (former Post Office, 2 rue Hippolyte Duprat),
– Zénith Oméga (Bd Commandant Nicolas) or next-door Omega Live,
– Opéra de Toulon,
– Café-Théâtre de la Porte d’Italie,
– Espace Comoedia (in the charming little Mourillon quarter!).
Other interesting places to visit include the Musée d’Art de Toulon (113, av. Général Leclerc), Musée des Arts Asiatiques (169 littoral Frédéric Mistral), La Maison de la Photographie (Place du Globe), L’Hôtel des Arts (236 av. Leclerc) and Muséum Départemental du Var (Jardin du Las – 607 chemin du Jonquet), which host all kinds of exhibitions throughout the year.
Last but not least, spiritual tourism lovers will enjoy visiting the many churches located in the town centre:
– Eglise St Louis (near the port and Place d’Armes),
– Eglise St François de Paule (at the top of Cours Lafayette),
– Cathédrale Notre Dame de la Seds (Place de la Cathédrale in the centre),
– And for an astonishing view, Chapelle Notre Dame du Fap Falcon (on the heights of Cap Brun).
Just one day might not be enough to do a full tour of Toulon, but the campsite’s pools and chirping cicadas await you on your return!
The Town of Toulon
Latitude : 43.120313
Longitude : 5.931450
Exploring the Var Region (35)
- "Les Salins d’Hyères" ancient saltmarshes
- A Day in Italy
- Coastal footpath
- Moulin du Haut Jasson
- Sénanque Abbey
- Thoronet Abbey
- “Calanques de Cassis" fjords
- "Jardin Botanique du Réal" botanical garden
- Domaine de la Castille
- Fort de Brégançon
- Garden E. Lopez
- Giens Peninsula
- Hyères town
- Ile des Embiez
- L'avenue 83
- Le Lavandou
- Le château d'Hyères
- Le mont Faron
- Les plages du Mourillon
- Mont Faron Feline Reproduction Centre
- Notre Dame de Grâces Sanctuary - Cotignac
- Plage de Sainte-Asile
- Plage de la Chapelle St-Georges
- Plage du Monaco
- Port Grimaud
- The "Three Mountain Passes" (Trois Cols
- The Town of Toulon
- The Verdon Canyon
- The massif des Maures
- Villa Noailles
- Village of Le Castellet
Hyères beaches (19)
- Badine Beach
- Brégançon Beach
- Cabasson Beach
- Cavalière Beach
- L'Almanarre Beach
- L'Argentière Beach
- L'Estagnol Beach
- La Bergerie Beach
- La Tour Fondue Beach
- Lavandou Beach
- Les Salins d’Hyères Beach
- Léoube Beach
- Miramar Beach
- Pellegrin Beach
- Plage d'Argent
- Plage de Notre Dame
- Plage du Langoustier
- Pointe de l’Oustaou de Diou
- Tamaris Beach
Provencal gastronomy (4)
Aquatic activities on French Riviera (4)
Hiking in Provence (3)
Golf in the var dept (3)
Diving and snorkeling in France (3)
Climbing in Provence (2)
Water sports on French Riviera (1)
Town of la Londe (1)
Ride on the French Riviera (1)